Do you feel like you’re losing your mind? It may be time for you to balance hormones.
Are you constantly feeling tired, irritable, and can’t remember what you ate for lunch? Have you been gaining weight, can’t sleep, and have no desire for intimacy? Are you feeling depressed, suddenly getting acne, or having night sweats? If any combination of these miseries sound like you, keep reading. It’s time to balance hormones naturally!
Hormones Are Tricky and Vital
…and being balanced is super important for your sanity. I have been, on occasion, hormonally whacked out. It happens. It’s miserable! For me it was intense stress that turned me inside out. However, there are many other causes and reasons too.
The good news.
You can get those hormones balanced with a few little changes to your lifestyle! Woohoo! Are you ready?!?
9 Tips to Help Balance Hormones Naturally
- Eat plenty of healthy fats and Omega 3’s. If you suspect hormone imbalance, eating healthy organic foods and plenty of healthy organic fats will be essential to your healing. Make sure you include fatty fish such as wild salmon, and lots of organic coconut oil, organic avocados, organic ground flax seeds, organic eggs, organic raw almonds and organic dark green veggies like spinach, broccoli and asparagus. Please eat organic! What does organic really mean?
- Sleep! Sleep is so important. Your body heals and detoxes when you sleep. Make sure sleep is a priority for you. You need to be sleeping between 7-10 hours per night.
- Avoid caffeine, sugar, and alcohol. I’m putting up my riot shield for this one. 😄 If you need to balance your hormones, yes, you need to avoid caffeine, sugar, and alcohol. These three culprits mess up your sleep, and stress your adrenal glands. The adrenal glands produce your hormones and help to control blood sugars, burn fat and regulate blood pressure, just to name a few. It is imperative to protect your adrenal glands. I take Adrenal Complex to help support my adrenals as well.
- Exercise is key. Make sure you’re getting at least 30 minute of exercise per day. You don’t have to run a marathon, or take a high-impact class. However, you do need to move your body. Make sure to include weight resistance training. Building muscle by lifting heavy weights is the best way to reduce the stresses of the day, and burn fat. You need to burn up the energy during the day so that you can sleep well at night.
- Drink lots of water. In our office, I’m the water Nazi. 😂 Your body needs to be well hydrated to be healthy. How much do you need? My suggestion is that you take your body weight and drink at least half to all of that in ounces. So, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should be drinking no less than 60 ounces of water per day. I would like to challenge you to drink 120 ounces if you can. Start slow and work your way up. I start my day with a 16 ounce glass of water and I drink 1 to 2 more of those before I leave for work. Start your water intake when you first get up. Drinking water will also help flush your body of toxins.
- Eliminate toxins. Toxins will definitely throw off your hormones. Do you know how you’re exposed to toxins? If you’re not eating organic food, you’re eating a lot of toxins. If you haven’t read What does organic really mean? Please make sure to read it! Another huge area that you may be exposing yourself to toxins is through your personal care products. Personal care products are so toxic! There are many chemicals in the products you use every single day, such as; Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Sulfate, Toluene, Phthalates, Dioxane and Parabens. These are all very bad for you and your health, and even cause cancer. Your skin is your largest organ system. Did you know that it only takes 26 seconds for anything you put on your skin to absorb into your blood stream? True! Therefore, what you put on your body matters. My opinion here is this; if you wouldn’t put it in your mouth, don’t put it on your body. Please go to www.CosmeticsDatabase.com to check the toxicity of your personal care products, and make the necessary changes today! And if you haven’t read my post on toxic personal care ingredients, please read it now! A supplement we love for detoxing heavy metals is Metal-X-Synergy. We take this every day!
- Take probiotics. Make sure you’re supporting your gut bacteria. Having healthy bacteria in your digestive system helps regulate your moods, balances your blood sugars and helps regulate and maintain your hormones as well. Those suffering from hormone imbalance should take a good Probiotic such as Designs For Health Probiotic Supreme. I also love organic sauerkraut and organic kombucha for a great, less expensive food based option for getting in your healthy bacteria.
- Avoid soy. There are a lot of people out there with many different opinions on this. However, remember this; soy increases estrogen. Estrogen is the hormone that makes women, women. But, excessive estrogen causes many health problems, and can lead to cancers. Increased estrogen will also cause boys to develop breast tissue (Gynocomastia). Elevated estrogen will also increase weight gain, breast tenderness and fibrous breast tissues. It is extremely important to make sure to avoid foods that increase estrogen to unhealthy ranges, and eating foods with soy is one of those activities. Please also be aware that soy is in most packaged foods. So if you’re eating food out of a package, you’re eating a lot of soy. Please also note that non-organic soy is also GMO, creating another huge list of problems.
- Avoid plastics. Stay away from plastic water bottles and containers. Plastic containers have many toxins in them that throw hormones out of whack. And definitely don’t freeze them! When you freeze plastic, it releases the toxic chemicals into your food and water at greater levels, and has been found to increase estrogen. We use the Takeya 22oz glass water bottles and the Takeya ThermoFlasks for our family and love them!
Healing your body will take time.
Please be patient with your body. Chances are you’ve been doing things that have caused your body harm for a long time to get you to the point you are at right now. You will not balance your hormones naturally over night. It may take months for you to balance your hormones and begin to feel like your old self, or your new self. 😉 Most of all, hang in there! You can do this.
Do you know someone suffering from hormone imbalance? Please share this great information with them.
Some great books that I love, about hormones!
Read these other great posts: