Are your kids bored? Do your kids fight? Are you secretly wishing it was the first day of school?
It’s summer time, and all moms have been here… At least the one’s I’ve known. 😜 The time of summer when everyone’s just bored, and done with each other! Take back your sanity with this fun play dough – DIY summer boredom buster!
They don’t have to be little!
I just wanted to let you know that my kiddos aren’t little any more. Mine are all teenagers, however, they love to craft! And homemade play dough is always a hit. Big or little, gather everyone around, (including you mama!) and have a little play time. Get creative, laugh and enjoy this time with your sweet babies.
It’s important to encourage creativity at every age. Painting, drawing, writing… And play dough!
I just had to show this adorable creative boy of mine! hehe! 😂
What do you do?
Molding and creating is fun! Animals, shapes, etc. But my kiddos love to break out the box of sugar cookie cutters and get creative. When they were little, I’d bring out the cookie cutters and they’d have fun for hours. What’s fun for me still, is to see their faces light up when I grab that box. Happy mama heart! ❤️😍
It’s so easy!
When my daughter was in her high school freshman year, she took Spanish. Her instructor would always say (in her heavy Spanish acccent) “It’s so easy!” So, as I type this, that’s what I hear in my head! Haha!
But really. It’s so easy! You’ll probably have all of the ingredients in your home already. It only takes a few minutes to whip it all up, and viola! Time to play!
- I suggest you, or your kiddos, whoever is mixing up the dough, use kitchen gloves like these. This will prevent your hands getting stained by the coloring process.
- I never use traditional food coloring for food that we’re actually eating, because it’s very toxic. So I only have this food coloring in the house for projects like these. To color food that you’re actually going to eat, I suggest using coloring that’s made from FOOD! Here’s an example of what we use for edible food colors. Read the ingredients list. If a coloring has the name of the color, followed by a number, it’s artificial and not fit for consumption. Please only eat colors that come from actual food!
- Store in ziploc baggies to keep your dough nice and soft!
- You can dry your creations for added home decor. 😜
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 2 TBSP Oil - I used Avocado Oil
- 1/2 Cup Salt
- 2 TBSP Cream of Tartar
- 1 1/2 Cups Hot Water
- Food Coloring
- With gloved hands, mix all of the ingredients, except the food coloring, in a large bowl. Be careful not to burn your hands with the hot water.
- Once your dough is all mixed, divide it into as many different colors that you are making. We divide ours into 4ths and make 4 different colors. Shown.
- In a smaller bowl, add a divided amount of dough to the bowl. Create a dent in the dough and put your coloring there. You will probably use 10-20 drops of color. Add coloring until its the color you want it. The darker, more vibrant the color, the more coloring you'll need. Mix thoroughly.
- Repeat for other colors.
- Tip: We rinsed the bowl that we were adding color to and the gloves in between each color mixing.
We love this summer boredom buster!
I hope you and your kiddos enjoy it too. Please leave me a comment and let me know what your family’s favorite summer boredom busters are, and what fun things you made with your DIY Play Dough. Happy molding!
Have you followed us on Facebook?
Please check out other great blog posts: